Powered by Content Watch
Parental Control Feature Summary
- Time Limit Controls: Yes
- Internet Blocking: Yes
- Web Filtering: Yes
- Chat Monitoring: Yes
- Activity Reports: Yes
- Email Alerts: Yes
- Remote Access: Yes
- Download Blocking: Yes
- Predator Alerts: No
- Keystroke Logging: No
- 100% Guarantee: No
- Trial Download: Yes
- Price: $39.99
Net Nanny Parental Control Software Review
NetNanny has intensive blocking and filtering feature which is suitable for children of any age bracket. It’s fully geared up to discreetly monitor and control your children’s computer usage. Advantage criterions that NetNanny have over other competitors are of as follows:
- Can adjust and control the time your children can use the computer on a daily or weekly basis.
- It intelligently analyzes website contents before blocking the entire web categories such as news groups and website proxies.
- Scans documents and sites except images with vulgar language and replaces them with a pound sign.
- Instant messaging conversations can be monitored on both sides.
- Monitors all internet and computer activities of your children
- Can give any parent access to their children’s Social Networking profiles including their friends list, pictures, videos and social chat conversations.
- Has stealth mode system that cannot be detected by your children at any ways.
- Real time warnings are sent via email or SMS in cases where your children access malicious and objective sites.
- Reports can be sent and altered accordingly in an hourly or daily basis. Reports are also shown in an organized and category based - pie chart manner.
- Can be installed on multiple computers for wide range of monitoring.
- Has remote monitoring and managing system where you can monitor your kids activities real time and customize NetNanny’s settings anywhere in the world.
NetNanny’s by far outstanding feature is its intelligent way of blocking and filtering websites. It doesn’t just block sites based on categories pre-set but it analyzes web content first continuously for malicious and objectionable content.
For example, your child needs to research a topic found in news feed sites but needs to do it in the morning. Other parental control software might not allow your child to surf news feed websites because of violent reports. NetNanny cleverly analyzes the news feed site and blocks it in the morning because of such violent reports but will allow your child an hour after once that news feed site changes their web content. For urgent cases like this where your child needs to check the site immediately, the software can be overridden by you.
Their blocking system is also so precise that it can even block malicious sites with foreign languages. Your children might be clever enough to visit pornographic sites from other foreign websites but NetNanny can still detect and block it regardless of the language used.
You can also customize what to block and filter according to your children’s age bracket. Let say your 10 year old child might not be able to visit websites that connotes violent news, drugs, etc. But your 18 year old kid can visit news feed websites that they might need for their assignments.
Social Network Monitoring
NetNanny can monitor all computer and internet activities of your children including emails and Social Networking sites such as facebook and Myspace. It also has the ability to record all your children’s chat conversations. It can even recognize keywords and phrases and common acronyms such as ASL (age, sex, location) and PLOS (parent looking over shoulder). NetNanny’s ability to scan documents and websites that displays vulgar languages where it can replace these words with a pound signs is something that other parental software does not have. Hence, this can protect your young ones from encountering such offensive words.
Your teenagers that might know you are watching their every move can barbarically do workarounds such as altering your computers time zones so you will not know they are sneaking around to use the computer at night. But NetNanny will only recognize the time zone presented when the software was installed.
NetNanny can also be installed in multiple computers if you have more than 2 children. It has remote monitoring features that allow any parent to monitor their kid’s computer activities anywhere by the use of any web browser. It can also give you authority to modify NetNanny’s settings even when you are not at home.
Reports and warning alerts are being sent either via email or SMS. Let say your child was conversing with his peers about “drugs”, NetNanny will automatically send you a text message or email alert of such activity. Reports can be customized as to an hourly or daily basis. It is well organized that it can even show you the report in a pie chart format where it shows the percentage textile based on categories such as music, arts, games and pornography.
The software is all equipped with different cool features that other parental control software might not have. However, there is still room for more improvement. NetNanny still does not have keylogging feature and predator watch alert which we hope we can see in there next software versions. NetNanny can be one powerful parental tool to protect and monitor your childrens computer usage.